Mate died, will my goose be alright?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NapoleanGoose, Nov 3, 2011.

1. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    I've heard stories of geese mourning their dead mates into starvation and death. My 6 year old gander died last night. Him and his 6 year old mate were sleeping together and when I came to get them in the morning, she was still cuddled up against the dead goose. I had them separated from the flock, closer to my house. I put her out with the flock this morning, and she ate and drank but stands alone and doesn't want to swim. She is silent (usually a very vocal goose) and seems despondent.

she is a Large Dewlap Toulouse. I'll be watching her carefully, but is there anything else I can do for her? I have other ganders in the flock, but they are all very young.

): I miss my big boy so much, he was the best goose I've had. I feel so bad for his mate, she is such a sweet girl too.

2. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Oh. And I forgot to mention. The gander was healthy. He broke his wing some time ago and was healing from it, but had not been eating a lot or drinking. I think he was just hurting too much. ):

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    She's going to mourn for him for a while. I've found that its easier for the males to adjust than the females. Watch her closely. When we lost our Tundra to a copperhead bite last year, 4 months later we lost Tansy. I swear it was from a broken heart. She cried for him for weeks. She basically withered away.

Good luck with your goose.

Laurie

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Oh, how sad. That is just terrible. Can you put your goose with the others so she doesn't feel so alone? One goose may just want to comfort her. Heck, you never know.

5. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Thank you both. Yes, I've put her with the flock so she's not alone. I'll keep a close eye on her. I just hope she'll accept the young gander. ):

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:So sorry for your loss, I hope she will find comfort with the other goslings. [​IMG]

7. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Quote:So sorry for your loss, I hope she will find comfort with the other goslings. [​IMG]

Thank you for the support [​IMG] I hope so too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by