Mated Guineas Fighting??

Zephyr0

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
I hope we are posting this in the right place?
However my issue is that my 2 guineas ,who are a mated pair, are fighting after being split up due to my Males aggression toward the hatched chicks. (My hen's hatch had failed and we relaced them with chicken eggs as we wanted a few chickens)
They've always been inseparable and quite laid back with each other.
They've been in view of each other even though they've been separated. Now that the chicks are a little older he doesn't seem to be fazed by them so we attempted to put them together again. However they are fighting terribly when in contact with each other and I'm wondering if it's because we did something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's all about determining dominance. Problem with Guinea fowl is that they sometimes get a bit carried away with things. Have you given them time to work things out ? Fighting without injury or blood letting may be necessary.

Well we have to a certain degree yes, once feathers start flying I stop them.
Should i maybe then them have at it a little longer?
Just sucks to see this pair fight honestly.

However my issue is that my 2 guineas ,who are a mated pair, are fighting after being split up due to my Males aggression toward the hatched chicks. (My hen's hatch had failed and we relaced them with chicken eggs as we wanted a few chickens)
They've been in view of each other even though they've been separated. Now that the chicks are a little older he doesn't seem to be fazed by them so we attempted to put them together again. However they are fighting terribly when in contact with each other and I'm wondering if it's because we did something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
How old are the chicks? Momma might be viewing her guy as a potential threat, even if you think he’s behaving...

How old are the chicks? Momma might be viewing her guy as a potential threat, even if you think he’s behaving...
I agree^
Have you tried taking the chicks away while the couple has time together?

Keep in mind time apart can change things. Do you have other guineas? Or just this pair?
My daughters guinea Tiny was locked up in the coop with a bum leg for a couple weeks. She was one of the top males girls(he had three, greedy boy) Even though she was kept in the coop in full view of the others she lost her place in the flock. No male has claimed her, not even boss man the top male. It’s sad to see, but guineas have their own social network that I just can’t grasp.

When I read this, I opted not to comment, bc I figured it wld sound nuts. What I thought of was a common human male response to offspring-love the kid. But it takes up all her time, she doesn't pay any attention to me, it's baby,baby,baby 24/7. Few will admit they feel jealous or left out, but that baby, baby, baby thing slips out sometimes.
So they were always together til the eggs cracked and suddenly they were separated-could see each other but not be together, and ...baby, baby, baby. Like I said, I figured I was humanizing birds too much.
But then I read this, and I'm not so sure now that my theory is any more farfetched than it?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...n=ed27&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email

When I read this, I opted not to comment, bc I figured it wld sound nuts. What I thought of was a common human male response to offspring-love the kid. But it takes up all her time, she doesn't pay any attention to me, it's baby,baby,baby 24/7. Few will admit they feel jealous or left out, but that baby, baby, baby thing slips out sometimes.
So they were always together til the eggs cracked and suddenly they were separated-could see each other but not be together, and ...baby, baby, baby. Like I said, I figured I was humanizing birds too much.
But then I read this, and I'm not so sure now that my theory is any more farfetched than it?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...n=ed27&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email
I don’t think it’s crazy to guess that.
Im sure some males that are separated from their mate would have a hard time excepting babies. Perhaps if he was an active part of things from the start things would be different.

I do believe they have more complex behaviors and bonds then many think they do. I’ve seen a family group of wild turkeys circle around a juvenile that was hit by a car. They would not leave the road till I moved the young one into the ditch. I didn’t want more to get hit while they mourned over their loss.
And seeing how one of my male guineas cares for his female was the most touching thing I had seen in any animal.

Alright, Sydney, I was trying to avoid reading that article but I read it after you linked to it... I posted my story of Marilyn and Susan and now I’m weepy. When we lost our two guinea cocks on the road last spring, their girls were so sad, wandering around, calling and calling for them. Violet especially was so pathetic that I really feared for her.

Alright, Sydney, I was trying to avoid reading that article but I read it after you linked to it... I posted my story of Marilyn and Susan and now I’m weepy. When we lost our two guinea cocks on the road last spring, their girls were so sad, wandering around, calling and calling for them. Violet especially was so pathetic that I really feared for her.
I've noticed things that make me not scoff. Blu was different after Bella died,& whenever Rosie gets a chance to run, the first thing she does is go over to where Lucy's nest was. PJ &Rosie are my only cpl now,& she's normally kept penned. I watch PJ catch grasshoppers & crickets then prance over to the kennel, slip his head between the bars and toss them in for her. They all stand guard over her and the keets, PJ's just more of the disciplinarian. Lol. She cld care less abt them. But, I keep taking her eggs from her, so she cld careless anymore where she deposits them.
Given the state we're in, "humanizing them", in my opinion, may very well be an insult to them.🤷‍♀️

I've noticed things that make me not scoff. Blu was different after Bella died,& whenever Rosie gets a chance to run, the first thing she does is go over to where Lucy's nest was. PJ &Rosie are my only cpl now,& she's normally kept penned. I watch PJ catch grasshoppers & crickets then prance over to the kennel, slip his head between the bars and toss them in for her. They all stand guard over her and the keets, PJ's just more of the disciplinarian. Lol. She cld care less abt them. But, I keep taking her eggs from her, so she cld careless anymore where she deposits them.
Given the state we're in, "humanizing them", in my opinion, may very well be an insult to them.🤷‍♀️
Indeed. Why assign them human qualities when it’s their nonhuman attributes that I love about them?

Back
Top Bottom