material for bottom of chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 3 girls chickens, Jun 13, 2008.

1. 3 girls chickens

3 girls chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Hello,

Im building a chicken coop for 12 chickens. I was wondering how big the house should be and do i use wood for the floor or should i use chicken wire. I live in Massachusetts and was also wondering if i need anything special for the winter months.

thanks for the help

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You should use wood, wire can cut their feet. Each bird should have 4 square feet of space inside the coop.

Good luck and welcome to BYC!

3. 3 girls chickens

3 girls chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    are you talking about 4 square feet in the run or in the actual house per bird. and also what is a droppings board and where should it be located. does it go under the roosts where they lay the eggs??

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, they should have 4 square feet per bird inside the coop.

You don't need a dropping board, but I do believe it is just a board/tray that you lay underneath the roosts. It's supposed to make cleanup a bit easier, ie, when you clean the coop, you just hose off the board.

The birds will need nesting boxes to lay eggs in; I don't think you would need a dropping board underneath nesting boxes.

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    normally you want 4 square feet inside the coop and 10 square feet outside the coop. To keep happy chickens. And to avoid peaking.

I would suggest putting wood as the flooring and covering it with pine shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by