Material for interior walls

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by elmo, Aug 20, 2010.

1. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm having a professional build me my "last" chicken coop (hee, hee). I'm handling the interior finish out myself to save money, and also because I enjoy puttering around with chicken housing.

I'm going to be insulating this coop, so I know I need to cover the insulation with something on the inside, but what? Ideally, the material will be easy to cut with a hand saw because that's all I have to work with.

Any ideas?

2. streetglide

streetglide Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    I used OSB, oriented strand board, it's the cheapest material you can buy in 4x8 sheets , about $7. It's easy to cut, but dusty, can be painted, and it's tough.
    They use it on people houses it should be O.K. for chickens! LOL!

3. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure to prime and generously paint all surfaces and edges with exterior grade paint--preferably a gloss finish for washability.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I used a really thin masonite type of paneling sold at home depot and lowes. It's very easy to clean, but not so great to work with, as it's so flimsy. Pros and cons...

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Invest in a battery operated circular saw. It will come in handy down the road . I sometimes cut 2x4s with a 4" but it kills the batts fast, lasts a good while on 1/4" underlayment (plywood) You can also get a 7 1/4" batt op circular saw for heavy work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by