materials for coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by honeyofahen, Apr 1, 2009.

1. honeyofahen

honeyofahen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Texas
    We wonder if a 3 layer floor coop floor covering of peat moss, wood shaveings and hay would be a good idea. Our chicks will vary in age from 2 weeks to 5 weeks old?[​IMG]

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Just wood shavings is fine. Peat moss is pretty unfriendly to the environment (in that they are basically strip-mining peat bogs to get it) and hay is expensive and will be messy and hard to clean (plus it molds easily when wet).

I keep a good layer of pine shavings in my indoor runs. Every so often I rake the top layer a bit, add some stall dry (DE & clay & lime) and toss down another layer of pine shavings. Once or twice a year I dig the whole thing out and start over.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Peat moss can also be on the dusty side for chicks.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't mix things. Hay/straw mixed with shavings is much harder to clean poo out of than either one alone. Remember it will not stay layered, it will get all scratched together in one big Waring Blender-ized mess.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    oooh I saw somebody mention stall dry. Would that just be the regular stall dry for horses, etc...? Does it work? I use it on the horse stalls but wasn't sure if I could use it in the coop?

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yes its the same thing. I used Stall Dry and loved it for my coop cleanings!

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Yep, that was me that mentioned that. Same stuff, as EweSheep has pointed out. Works great in the coop, just like it does in your stalls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by