Matilda: A story of the record holder for oldest chicken

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
After reading a post about a BYC member who sadly lost her nearly 11 year old hen, I got to thinking about my own hens and how much I'd like for some of them to live nice long lives. While I'm sure other chickens have lived to be older, it's not something that many folks may have documented well enough to by recognized by Guinness World Records. Regardless, the record holder lived to be sixteen and I thought her story was an interesting read. (Taken from Wikipedia)

Matilda (1990 – February 11, 2006) was a fourteen-ounce (400 g) hen, and the first chicken to receive the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken from Guinness World Records. She is thought to have been descended from the Red Pyle color variation of the Old English Game breed. She was a pet of Keith and Donna Barton of Bessemer, Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham.

Under the stage names of Mort The Mystifying and Donna, Keith and Donna were pursuing their goal of becoming professional magicians, and Matilda was part of their plan. On June 5, 1991, she made her debut performance in Keith's and Donna's magic show.

To make Matilda magically appear, Keith would produce an egg from two cardboard tubes, which were shown empty and then nested one inside the other. After cracking the egg, dropping its contents into an empty pan, and adding a few drops of hot sauce, Keith would place the lid on the pan and immediately lift the lid to reveal Matilda in all her glory. Her magic career would span well over a decade.

Matilda's name was taken from "Waltzing Matilda", an old Australian folk song, and given to her as a result of her penchant for stepping side to side (as if she were waltzing) against the wire panels on the sides of her cage. Unlike most hens, Matilda never produced eggs. Her veterinarians believed Matilda's lack of egg production contributed significantly to her extraordinarily long lifespan of sixteen years.

Another contributing factor to Matilda's longevity was her having lived the majority of her life indoors, inside a large wire cage, where she enjoyed a stable, protected environment year-round.

Considering that the average lifespan of a chicken is generally no more than seven to eight years, Keith and Donna contacted Guinness World Records on July 30, 2001, to make them aware that Matilda was eleven years old and still in excellent health. Guinness World Records responded that Matilda's age had to be substantiated. Keith and Donna began completing forms and gathering documentation, which were forwarded directly to Guinness World Records.

On April 27, 2004, Guinness World Records proclaimed fourteen-year-old Matilda to be World's Oldest Living Chicken. Keith and Donna were presented with a congratulatory letter and official certificate from Guinness World Records.

Matilda's title of World's Oldest Living Chicken is recorded in the data banks at Guinness World Records, but has not been included in their books or on their website.
Due to age-related health problems, Matilda retired from show business on October 17, 2005, and died, at the age of sixteen, on February 11, 2006. From the time she received the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken, Matilda lived one year, nine months, and fifteen days.

Wow! That's awesome! I also hope my chickens will live long lives.
Me too ❤️ I have a buff Brahma who will be five soon. She loves snuggling with me and it’s so magical. I never thought I’d have a lovey chicken. Unfortunately she has chronic Bumblefoot so I’m sure that will take its toll on her. A bear attacked our coop and killed several birds and she was the first one I looked for. I was so happy she was alive and so devastated at my other losses. Chicken keeping is a constant roller coaster of emotions!

Me too ❤ I have a buff Brahma who will be five soon. She loves snuggling with me and it’s so magical. I never thought I’d have a lovey chicken. Unfortunately she has chronic Bumblefoot so I’m sure that will take its toll on her. A bear attacked our coop and killed several birds and she was the first one I looked for. I was so happy she was alive and so devastated at my other losses. Chicken keeping is a constant roller coaster of emotions!
Mine are all young, since I recently got chickens again. I'm thinking my little oegb will outlive them all! I'm sorry you lost some to a bear.

Back
Top Bottom