Matilda age 5-6 weeks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tlco, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    At what age do I switch her to a laying feed right now she is on chick starter? She is only Survivor of my first 6 chicks (2 legged human predater). I have 4, 2 week old Bantams as well. Is there a feed I can feed everybody or must I get the two different feeds till all are laying age?

Photos

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    To feed a mixed flock (age, gender, production status) you can use grower/maintenance type feeds such as all-flock, flock raiser, etc. This avoids having to have two feeds as you don''t want to put a young bird on layer until at least 18 weeks or when they actually start to lay.

3. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    The chick starter is medicated a brand from Tracker Supply. Is it OK to continue feeding this to them all till they are all at laying age.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You can continue with chick starter feed until your bantams are 6-8 weeks old and then put them all on growers / general flock feed.

5. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    Thank you...happy chicks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    Yeah success Matilda and the babies are in the same house..they are so sweet together. Matilda is actually mothering them tring to protect em from big bad hands..lol she feeds then small pieces of grass and stuff. They run after her as well and get up under her too. Do u think she will keep em warm or should I keep usIng the warming light too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by