Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Has Matilda lost her other toes yet? Or are they still hanging on?
There hasn't been a lot of visible change over the past 2 weeks, other than the left nub continues to heal, and both spurs have continued shrinking as if they are literally being "absorbed." The left spur is almost completely gone, & the right spur is slowly disappearing too. I have found zero information as to why/what caused that process to happen, since both spurs appeared to be part of viable tissue.

The fact that spurs have two layers, the outer layer composed of keratin, & the inner layer composed of bone, led me to research the process of how necrotic Bones detach from the viable remains. (The spurs didnt detach but shrunk away, but it still made me curious how the bones detach.) I didnt find a satisfactory answer to the process yet, tho i havent had time to dig deep. I did find new information after researching "frostbite bone necrosis detachment." Including that the correct term for the detachment process is "autoamputation."

Also, there was back-and forth discussion early in this thread as to whether to wrap the left leg stub or leave it uncovered. I wrapped it for the first few days because i thought Matilda was picking at the bloody nub. Once i realized she was actually attempting to preen the antibiotic ointment off her feathers, ive left both feet unwrapped ever since. Came across the following info today at Emedicinehealth. "Dry gangrene always has the potential to become infected due to moisture absorption from the surroundings." So sounds like if clean living conditions can be kept, its best to leave the wound uncovered when possible.

Athough her left wound has mostly healed, the right foot surely still has "something" happening underneath the hardened discolored outer skin. Im puzzled as to exactly what though. Its been 5 weeks and 2 days since the left foot detached. I felt certain the right foot would soon be parting ways after the bottom pad swelled up so much a couple of weeks ago. Then the swelling subsided, & not much visible change since. All toes are rigid and black, and the top of foot is very hard and very discolored. With almost no change over the past 2-3 weeks, im clueless as to what to expect.

Finally, also found this info on "Emedicinehealth", & thought it an excellent description re how the body reacts to freezing temperatures: "Your body works to stay alive first, and stay functioning second. In conditions of prolonged cold exposure, the body sends signals to the blood vessels in the arms and legs telling them to constrict. By slowing blood flow to the extremities, the body is able to send more blood to the vital organs, supplying them with critical nutrients, while also preventing a further decrease in internal body temperature by exposing less blood to the outside cold. As this process continues and the extremities become colder and colder, a condition called the Hunters Response is initiated. The body's blood vessels are dilated for a period, then constricted again. Periods of dilation and constriction are cycled in order to preserve as much function in the extremities as possible. However, when the brain senses that the person in danger of hypothermia, it permanently constricts blood vessels to prevent them from returning cold blood to the internal organs. When this happens, frostbite has begun."

The body is definitely a marvelous machine. The above info refers to human physiology, and I dont know if its exactly applicable to bird extremities. Still havent found any detailed info re birds. Maybe i just havent looked in the right places yet. One thing im certain of is that once Matilda's brain diverted blood flow to her feet in freezing temperatures, combined with her being suspended upside down which further diverted blood flow, her poor feet never had a chance.

All photos below were taken May 9. In photo #1 the "appendage" closest to viewer is all that remains of left spur. I just dont see much change in the right foot.

Attachments

• 20210509_140431.jpg
    20210509_140431.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210509_140619.jpg
    20210509_140619.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210509_140406.jpg
    20210509_140406.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210509_140458.jpg
    20210509_140458.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 30
Jumping in to talk about frostbite prevention.

The best thing you can do to prevent frostbite is to ensure an animal and tissue is hydrated. Provide fresh, unfrozen water at all times. There aren't many good systems out there right now. I personally use a wild bird bath heater in a stainless steel steam table pan in the winter. It is low wattage and always keeps the water clear of ice. I also keep the same system in the coop, so that they are never without water.

Wishing you the best!

Jumping in to talk about frostbite prevention.

The best thing you can do to prevent frostbite is to ensure an animal and tissue is hydrated. Provide fresh, unfrozen water at all times. There aren't many good systems out there right now. I personally use a wild bird bath heater in a stainless steel steam table pan in the winter. It is low wattage and always keeps the water clear of ice. I also keep the same system in the coop, so that they are never without water.

Wishing you the best!
all in all read the first pages you will know this is over and done

I do not think you will find more .. sadly .. You have managed endearing to her what you have been able to do is fabulous .. I do hope you have kept notes and will write a article about the occurrence from the time you found her to her final outcome
Yes i have considered writing an article this coming winter, when i have more time and by then will know the final outcome. Yesterday i went and stared very hard at the cage where her spur got caught. Attempted to visualize exactly how her right foot was in contact with the cage metal. I got a fairly good idea of how the top of her right foot had contact with the metal, while bottom of foot was closer to her body. Still doesnt explain why the left foot was lost, unless Matilda's brain simply sacrificed her left foot first because it was further away from her vital organs. (I had not known that the brain cuts off circulation to extremities partly to keep cold blood from returning to the heart). Next time an older hen dies a natural death, i plan to ziptie her right foot to the cage and hang the dead hen upside down in an attempt to recreate Matilda's injury scenario. A bit morbid yes, but this whole situation has been graphic.

Also came across info recently stating that when severe frostbite begins to occur, the affected body part begins to feel warm. Seems completely counter-intuitive, but explains why when i found Matilda and brought her inside, her right foot felt cold to the touch, while her left foot had some warmth. I didnt know it at the time, but the warmth of the left foot in fact signified severe frostbite.

Yes i have considered writing an article this coming winter, when i have more time and by then will know the final outcome. Yesterday i went and stared very hard at the cage where her spur got caught. Attempted to visualize exactly how her right foot was in contact with the cage metal. I got a fairly good idea of how the top of her right foot had contact with the metal, while bottom of foot was closer to her body. Still doesnt explain why the left foot was lost, unless Matilda's brain simply sacrificed her left foot first because it was further away from her vital organs. (I had not known that the brain cuts off circulation to extremities partly to keep cold blood from returning to the heart). Next time an older hen dies a natural death, i plan to ziptie her right foot to the cage and hang the dead hen upside down in an attempt to recreate Matilda's injury scenario. A bit morbid yes, but this whole situation has been graphic.

Also came across info recently stating that when severe frostbite begins to occur, the affected body part begins to feel warm. Seems completely counter-intuitive, but explains why when i found Matilda and brought her inside, her right foot felt cold to the touch, while her left foot had some warmth. I didnt know it at the time, but the warmth of the left foot in fact signified severe frostbite.
You are an amazing and loving person! Most people would have euthanized her... She is a lucky chickadee ♥️

She's been very easy to care for, & has made no complaints or struggled against any pain or treatments she has endured. I have some hens that become shrieking terrified banshees if i so much as touch a feather. I could not have treated those hens and would have needed to euthanize. Matilda has been a true joy to have around. Never saw that coming!

Back
Top Bottom