Mating and drowning

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Mar 22, 2015.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    How likely is it for a male to drown a female? My drake is getting really randy with spring and is sharing his attentions around. But he seems to be having trouble adjusting to the different sizes of my females. I have 5 females and 1 male. My Cayuga came with him and they are buddy, buddy but she is smaller and now that he has larger females when he get on her he doesn't get off! He was on top of her for a good full 1-2 mins. He just couldn't seem to get the deed done and just sat on her waiting to catch his breath, who knows. She finally started to stretch up her neck and he finished up and I intervened at the same time. He keep mounting everyone out of water and now I'm wondering if I should be concerned for her. He is also chasing around my white layer but she won't let him mount her so I wonder if he is even more interested because of that. He is downright mean to her and grabs her neck and shakes it. He is around 5 months so I know they can be a bit much at this age, but do I need to be concened for their safety?

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    How deep is the water? What breed is the male?

3. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I would say about a foot deep and he is a white crested, not a pekin. He is smaller than a pekin. They have always mated fine in their water troth, this is the first time he couldn't seem to get things positioned right. Not 5 mins before he got on did his thing and got right off. Usually with her it's 30 seconds max because he has it down.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mating is rough business and sometimes it looks like the drake could drown a duck but so far in the almost 11 yrs I have had ducks not one of my females has been drowned. The girls just seem to know how to handle it, when I first got ducks though I was so scared my drake would drown one it sure looks like it, I've never had a drake be especially mean to one of the ducks though by grabbing and shaking her. They will stand on the girls on the ground never have figured that out unless they are letting them know they are boss. 2 drakes are more likely to drown a female than 1. Keep an eye on things and Those young ones really have got the hormones raging in them.

5. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Thank you. I figured it isn't very common and it looks worse than it is. She was just fine when he go off and was swimming like nothing happened. I think because today is such a wonderful day he is feeling extra frisky. He keeps going after everyone making sure no one is left out. I think the biting might be telling her who is boss since she is the alpha duck. As he was biting she was just swimming like nothing was going on. I just saw him grab one of my runners when she walked by the pool he was in so I know he is very hormonal right now. Geez dude chill! They aren't going anywhere.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree the girls don't plan on leaving anytime soon so take a breather. How about it. Your drake has to be worn out by end of day I know mine are. LOL Now you can share the birds and the bees with your boys. or have they noticed any strange behavior going on?

7. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Well today I attached the expansion onto the coop so they have an extra 5 sq ft, hopeful that will cut off any problems on that front. He has to chase poor Marshal around in the house too a few times before everyone's settles. I think he is the energizer bunny. When we sit out back at night you hear him talking but all the girls are quiet. He usually watches out for them when they sleep anyway, so he isn't all bad.

I don't think my boys have noticed anything. They just figure that's what they do. They are pretty young though at 2 and 4 and don't even noticed a wall till they walk into it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Shallower pools help.....I did lose one female last year, found her drowned when I went to lockup, a runner. But then I had 2 drown in a bucket of water till I learned to put a rock in the bottom or ramp if any container is deeper than they are tall.....

9. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    There are rocks on one end and they can jump of on the sides too if needed. I noticed this morning that Marshal finally accepted fate and allowed Rubble my drake to mount her. She also went to the rocks and climbed out when she had enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by