mating at age 10 weeks???!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    My older chicks are 10 weeks old this past Sunday. Yesterday I caught one of the young roos mating with an adult hen ! Today I caught 2 of the young roos trying to mate with their sisters and their sisters aren't even laying eggs yet! Aren't they a little young?

2. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    thats what im trying to figure out. my fifteen week old boys are mating with their sisters. akes ya wonder.[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've seen a cockerel as young as 7 weeks old do a pretty good imitation of mating a pullet chick. They do start early. My 11 week old Welsummer is even doing the wing-drag dance for the ladies.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cockerals and their mating habits has nothing at all to do with pullet and egg laying age. Cockerals are boys - it's what they do - as bad as rabbits.

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Oh yeah, our species is so much better. [​IMG]

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I have a white ameraucana roo that is 10 weeks old and has been crowing since he was 8 weeks he does the wing dance and tries to mount the 10 week old pullets also. He is the youngest rooster that we have ever had to crow. He is a pretty good crower now.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    YUP my Serama roo is 7 weeks old and he's trying to grab the little d'uccle girls by the head! Poor things. I'm going to separate him for a few weeks I think. He also JUST started crowing yesterday [​IMG] Too funny!

9. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    LOL [​IMG] it is funny to hear my adult roo crow and then my 3 of my 10 week old roos crow(they all have a different sound)....some of them sound like theeir voice is changing all crackly lol

10. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I love to hear those early attempts at crowing. I'm such a proud mama when they finally make a sound that resembles a cock-a- doodle- doo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by