Mating before egglaying starts ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coloradochick, Jun 15, 2008.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    So, this evening we caught Rascal the Mottled Cochin Banty mating one of our Speckld Sussex'. Both will be 18 weeks on 6/21. My question is, none of the girls have started laying, does a rooster know when they are about to and then knows to mate? :eek:

Cara

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Roos mate anything that smells like a hen, LOL. And yes, they do it before the hens lay, several times a day and sometimes more, LOL

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

roosters will do it with cats. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chicken mamma

chicken mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    My Rooster just started doing this too! He's 17 wks old, a buff cohicn banty, he's been mounting my red stars and my buff brahmas. Does this mean they will lay soon? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I hope Mango doesn't try to mate with Missi. She will be a Missi pancake! (they are only 7 weeks old, so I am sure Missi is safe... for now!)

6. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Morning all, Chickenmama, that's why I was asking. If the roo knows that she's ready to start laying at anytime.

C

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am almost 100% sure I just caught my Barred Rock cockerel trying to mate with one of my pullets (and another cockerel but he asked that I not mention that unfortunate incident) and they are about 12 weeks old at the most. [​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I thought this was interesting:
    we "caught" Rascal the Mottled Cochin Banty mating one of our Speckld Sussex. (italics mine)

He's a male chicken, of course, a cockerel. He's doing his thing, that which he was made for. He knows little else, at this point.

What I thought was telling, though, was the comments imply he was doing something wrong, "caught in the act," as it were. That is some deep psychological stuff, right there.

Mating before egglaying starts ?? Roos mate anything that smells like a hen, LOL. And yes, they do it before the hens lay, several times a day and sometimes more, LOL

One of the great things about being a rooster, no doubt. Although it does lead them into some compromising situations; I've heard of them trying to mate a football.​

9. chicken mamma

chicken mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    I do know one thing, being a first time 'chicken farmer" its desturbing the first time it happens. I didn't know what was going on at first. what crackes me up is he's a sawed off little banty going up to and biting the necks of some of the bigger pullets that I have. He must think a lot of himself, I know that much.

10. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    elderoo, I'm not saying he was doing anything wrong. It was just a little discomforting watching him be so aggressive. As chicken mamma said, it's a little disturbing watching it the first time. But I also thought it was very exciting at the same time knowing that the egglaying should start anytime.

So does this mean that Rascal is the top gun in the coop?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by