Mating behavior of a drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tivona, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    So I was outside yesterday and saw my 2 new younger ducks playing in the pool. They are getting old enough so she should start laying any time is my guess. My main older drake has been mounting her for about a week or maybe two. The question is about the uh... boy she came with. He is the same age as her, so young but just coming to mating age. He has the slightest curl to his tail (barely there) very similar to my older drakes tail when he was young. He? has tried nipping at the girls necks but yesterday he was laying out flat in the pool acting very much like a girl duck begging for it. The voice of uh, him is in between the girls sharper quack and my drakes verrrry raspy quiet quack. Any chance he is a her? When do the tail feather curl time with the females being ready to mate? Should he have more of a curl at this age if he is a he?

2. Sassy1967

Sassy1967 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Alabama
    I have 3 Mallards...2 Drakes and 1 hen. The hen won't get any curls,..so if the one in question has already molted, gotten his pretty green head and has begun to get curly q's on his tail, it's definately a HE. Because he's still young, he's probably trying out his moves. Kinda like kids do when they practice kissing on a pillow [​IMG] My guess is that if the hen hasn't already chosen a mate, she'll begin doing so. Once she chooses, the other Drakes will try to woo her if her man isn't around. But, if he's around, you can expect alot of babbling and chasing each other. It's so much fun to watch! Good luck with your babies! I've really enjoyed mine [​IMG]

3. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Sorry I probably should have told is breed. He is a Black Swedish so no green head to tell by and he hasn't molted yet. The tail curl comes after the males first molt? I really can't remember my older drakes timing on when he got his curl. He is starting to look a bit scraggly so he is probably just ready to start his molt is my guess. My weather is mild all year and I provide light so my ducks molts are sort of all over the place. Some of the girls are in the middle of a molt others not. If he isn't starting to molt now it could be awhile or not. The girl he came with is definitely getting friendlier with my older drake but mostly she pals with her friend in question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by