Mating but no eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JustMarie, Aug 8, 2010.

1. JustMarie

JustMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    My mallard duck is 20 wks old and shes not laying yet but i've seen my drake which is 20wks too, mate with her many times. Is this normal for them to be mating before she starts laying?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A drake will mate with a hen no matter if she is laying or not. His mating activities will not stimulate her to lay. I know when I had ducks, they were seasonal layers. They wouldn't lay year-round like the chickens.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    mallards especially are (I do believe) seasonal layers so if your girl isn't old enough to lay soon she might not until next spring....

4. JustMarie

JustMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Hmm seasonal layers.......I didn't know that. I just thought since she was being willing for him that she might lay soon, i should have know she was just being a lil hussy. Do they just lay in the spring or in the summer, also is she going to be broody at all

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    mallards are very good broodies.......she could lay before fall

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I know that wild mallards will often mate without any result. This is especially true when they're mated right after the mom makes her first appearance after the ducklings hatch. But, I don't know about young ducks haven't laid eggs yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by