mating injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Masonchick, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Masonchick

Masonchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    i have this aggressive hen and today she was matting with my roster who is very docile she cut the back of his comb and the back of his neck is all scratched up will he be alright ? does this usually happen when mating ?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Party on Wayne, Party on Garth Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm not understanding how the hen is hurting the rooster, usually it's the other way around. I guess you will have to describe what's going on because the rooster gets on the hen and grabs the back of her neck, not the hen on the rooster.

3. Masonchick

Jul 14, 2015
    i have no idea thats what was happening she was on top of him and chasing him aground the yard all day

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It sounds more like she's attacking him, is he younger and she's older, are you sure she's a hen.

5. Masonchick

Jul 14, 2015
    she acts a lot like a roster she even crows everyone says that sometimes a hen will act like this. they are the same age.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Perhaps you could post photos, I think they are both roosters, it's not normal for a hen to dominate a rooster of the same age, and your rooster could be a hen.

As far as any injuries if there's blood treat any wounds with bluekote, and separate if there's any pecking, if the aggression keeps up you may have to remove one.

7. Masonchick

Jul 14, 2015
    what is bluekote

8. Masonchick

Jul 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    this is the hen

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's a wound spray that is blue, it will hide any red blood color so no one starts pecking at the wounds, it will stain clothing and hands so be careful how and where you spray, it can be bought at most farm stores, and tractor supplies. If chickens see blood they will peck and won't stop.

10. Masonchick

Jul 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    to the left is the rooster and to the right is what i think to be a hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by