mating, managing small flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lauraj2, Nov 11, 2009.

1. lauraj2

lauraj2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm new at this posting ???'s, hope I am doing it right!! My ? is this... I have 9 chickens, my original 5 hens that are a year and a half old. I had a big mean rooster but he had to go, but before he did my freind and I incubated some eggs. We are sure that 3 of the chicks are his babies, we bought some as well. I got 4 chicks to add to my flock, as they grew I could tell that 2 were bantam hens and 2 were from my eggs, 1 hen and 1 rooster. So now I have 8 hens and 1 rooster who is very nice so far and looks just like his papa. I am trying to get 3 more hens so I will have enuff hens for him. I am curious if this is okay... can he mate with the banties? Will he hurt them? Can he mate with his mother and his half sister? Any help will be appreciated.

2. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    I am semi new to chickens but I have had mine almost 2years, well it will be 2 in March.
    Started with 26
    Now I have around 40 ish because I bought some and a hen hatched some and I gave some eggs to a teacher who incubated some sooo I ended up with some roos that mate their sisters and they mate the moms(I know it's pretty groos to me to)
    But what i have read on here says it's not that bad as long as the new ones aren't de formed and if I were you I would intorduce new blood lines in everyonce in a while( I mean as like in fertile eggs from someones else.
    I have my standards that do mate the bantam s and they are just fine. I had to get more hens because I had wayyy too many roo's before.
    Hope I helped. [​IMG]

3. lauraj2

lauraj2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    Yes, that helped. Thanks. I have had other replies that have helped as well. Just gonna keep an eye on things and hopefully I can get 3 more pullets to add to my flock, that will be 11 hens for him. Right now he is focusing on just 2 of my older hens, the other 3 are moulting and he seems to not be interested in them and plus they are cranky with him, they still look at him as one of the babies I guess! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by