Mating or fighting ?!

Cheryl lowe

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Uk
So I have a 13 week peking bantam cockerel . This morning he grabbed hold of one of the bossy hens ( about a year old) grabbed her comb then jumped on her back. Was that a fight or did he mate with her? It lasted about a second ?
New to cockerels and their behaviour!!!

So I have a 13 week peking bantam cockerel . This morning he grabbed hold of one of the bossy hens ( about a year old) grabbed her comb then jumped on her back. Was that a fight or did he mate with her? It lasted about a second ?
New to cockerels and their behaviour!!!
I had the exact same thing happen with my rooster a little over a week ago. Im pretty sure it is to mate but its my understanding that some roosters can get mean and it can turn into a fight.

I had the exact same thing happen with my rooster a little over a week ago. Im pretty sure it is to mate but its my understanding that some roosters can get mean and it can turn into a fight.
Do you think he is old enough to pro create?!
I didn’t know whether to let them get on with it or intervene!
Just want to make sure am storing the eggs correctly if they are fertilised ! How are you storing your eggs? From what I understand they need to go in fridge if fertilised - rather than being kept at room temperature

Do you think he is old enough to pro create?!
I didn’t know whether to let them get on with it or intervene!
Just want to make sure am storing the eggs correctly if they are fertilised ! How are you storing your eggs? From what I understand they need to go in fridge if fertilised - rather than being kept at room temperature
I am still pretty new to chickens and roosters. I personally have separated my rooster as we dont plan to reproduce at least for right now. My hens are around 19 weeks and just started laying yesterday. From my research, I heard that its best to keep all eggs in the fridge unless you plan on eating them soon. I havent really looked into storing fertilized eggs though. Are you wanting the fertilized eggs? If you are then I would let them continue. My rooster seems to be kind of aggressive so since we arent trying for fertile eggs, we seperated them. I hope this helps.

I am still pretty new to chickens and roosters. I personally have separated my rooster as we dont plan to reproduce at least for right now. My hens are around 19 weeks and just started laying yesterday. From my research, I heard that its best to keep all eggs in the fridge unless you plan on eating them soon. I havent really looked into storing fertilized eggs though. Are you wanting the fertilized eggs? If you are then I would let them continue. My rooster seems to be kind of aggressive so since we arent trying for fertile eggs, we seperated them. I hope this helps.

Thanks . I’m not planning to use any fertilised eggs , was just hoping with having to introduce cockerels, that they would all get along . Will keep a close eye and see how they get on! 🤞

Back
Top Bottom