Mating? Or is this war?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rememberthedeer, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    I have three pekin ducks, and I've been told that all three are males. They have been together since they were three days old, and today they started acting strange. All three of them were in the pond and they were fighting. The first duck looked like he was trying to mount another that was currently biting the third ducks head...But I've been told they are all males for they all have the drake feather, but one isn't as defined as the other. I took one of them out and the other two immediately calmed down. So I put the one back and they started fighting again. So I took the one back out and went to go tell my dad. But the one that I took out went and attacked the dog, literally. I have never seen a duck act so aggressive. So I grabbed the duck and went and told my dad. So he came out and when I put the duck back in the pond they were all fine. No fighting what so ever. Does anybody know what's going on?

2. Jryxx

Jryxx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Could be asserting dominance. If this is the case, once the pecking order is all figured out between them, they should stop fighting. Try putting the aggressive duck in a separated area where he can still see the other ducks and communicate without physical contact. Do this for a week or so and reintroduce them together.

3. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Ok, I'll try that. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by