Mating outside of mating season?

rkervell

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2016
I am a newcomer when it comes to ducks. I originally thought I had two females (one khaki Campbell and one Muscovy). As time has gone on, I now realize I have a female khaki and a male Muscovy. Today I witnessed the ducks mating. I didn’t think this happened outside of mating season !? I live in AZ and the weather has begun to cool down... I’m now wondering, will I see ducklings in the near future ? Amy guidance or insight on this would be nice. Growing up I remember ducks mating in the late AZ winter and early spring. I’m confused !!! Thank you in advance.

To add to that, my khaki had been laying eggs regularly and has not laid (or I simply can’t find the eggs) since my Muscovy has displayed ‘courting’ behavior.

As far as I have observed, drakes are horney beasts and will mate as often and readily as possible regardless of season (or breed! Beware chickens!). Though many of our duck girls only lay seasonally...I don't have a ton of experience with ducks though!

My Muscovy drake is winding down from mating season as are his girls from laying . May depend on where we are located as to when this happens my Muscovy's are seasonal layers and breeders starting in early spring finishing up in late Oct.
Now my Runners and Buffs mated all through winter last year. Could have been because they were very young too haven't seen them slowing down on mating yet. But ducks do take breaks from laying periodically if they didn't they would lay out their first year. They have to give their bodies a break.
If you drake is wanting to mate all the time you might want to consider getting a few more females to take the burden off your one.

Shortly after my ducks hit maturity, I learned that my "peaceful morning routine" was to go outside, let the ducks out, feed everybody, water everybody, and change the water in their kiddie pool every other day which will always, ALWAYS provoke an immediate screaming duck-orgy. It is somewhat less serene of a scene than I had pictured when I dreamed of having ducks.

Shortly after my ducks hit maturity, I learned that my "peaceful morning routine" was to go outside, let the ducks out, feed everybody, water everybody, and change the water in their kiddie pool every other day which will always, ALWAYS provoke an immediate screaming duck-orgy. It is somewhat less serene of a scene than I had pictured when I dreamed of having ducks.
:lau

I'm sorry, it's probably not funny. The way you worded that though...

I have Older Ducks and young ones from this years hatchlings ....The older ones are not breeding...The young Drake and Hens are breeding although it's only in the kiddie pool when it gets too exciting...I think the young ones breed lots the first year and through the following breeding season then stop...They will start again the next breeding season....

First off, khakis are not seasonal birds and a muscovey is not a duck...it is a completely separate species, between a duck and goose. Also, the breeding only fertilizes the egg that is laid, then the egg has to be incubated before there is offspring....so, just because there is breeding going on it is up to you if there is going to be offspring or not. It is my understanding that the offspring from the pair you have would be sterile because of the difference in the species.

Back
Top Bottom