Mating practice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billw, Mar 30, 2012.

1. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    Our two drakes are trying to figure out the birds and the bees. They don't appear very successful thus far. There are a couple of willing females. They climb up on their backs, but not even close to on-target, trample their partner for a little while, and then wander off to look for bugs.

That is, unless the female that we have dubbed "cranky prude" catches on. If she sees either of the drakes making a move, she quacks really loudly and leads five other females to peck at the drake. General duck drama ensues and they run around the enclosure quacking and flapping their wings until they forget what all the fuss was about.

Ducks are funny.

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    They are hilarious!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Some of the drakes are real klutzes. Especially the large breeds.

He will eventually get it figured out.

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    That is hilarious!!! Mine are still babies (month old), but this actually makes me think of a question.. Do ducks care about breed? I mean if I end up with a drake mallard and have two female pekins and a female Cayuga - will he try to breed with them? I know my pekins are females, but my Cayuga and mallard are still unknowns. Don't mean to hyjack a thread - I'll create a new one if you prefer :)

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    He will still breed them more the likely

6. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

It's my understanding ducks care about breeds about as much as a dog or a cat would [​IMG]

7. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Great, thanks very much. I'd love to raise a few ducklings, but of course it would be nicer if I just happened to get all gals and had duck eggs to sell! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by