mating question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rescuefirst, Oct 29, 2010.

1. rescuefirst

rescuefirst Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Oxford, PA
    I have a bantam cochin hen that "acts" like a rooster in a flock of about 8 chickens, two of which are actual roosters. I'm interested in breeding her to one of the roosters, however since she's taken the dominant role in pecking order, none of the roosters want anything to do with her - hence, no mating.

The two other roosters in the flock do mate with the other hens, however they stay far away and are quite afraid of this tiny bantam cochin hen that acts like she runs to the coop. (Of course this particular hen is the one I'm interested in breeding with one of the two "real" roos.)

Any suggestions on how to get this bantam cochin to stop scaring the roos away from her and running the coop?

2. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Find you a dominant rooster to put her with that will usually calm them down.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    They, they being all the people who know more than me, they say that if you take a chicken out of the run and coop for a few days that it messes up the pecking order. Maybe taking her out for a while will make her not try to be top dog when she is put back in????

4. rescuefirst

rescuefirst Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Oxford, PA
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    I did take her out of the coop for a few weeks, thinking the pecking order would change. Much to my surprise, as soon as I put the little bantam cochin back in with the flock - she resumed her position. My roos are all very friendly, perhaps getting a more dominant one could change the dynamic. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again and I look forward to any additional feedback.

Cheers to all!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by