1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mating question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by my4ladies, Mar 22, 2013.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Ok, breeders...I have a question for you about mating. Are chickens at all like dogs, where you can look for a the sire to breed your female to? I know how hens are if you introduce them to a new member, but I'm not sure how that goes with roosters. Do they want to mate with any hen that comes along, or will the pick on a newbie?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Pretty much any hen that comes along after she is introduced into the flock.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    So she would have to be introduced and accepted first? I can't have roos, but have a BCM that I'd like to breed to an Ameraucana roo. I didn't know if it was something I could arrange, like you could with a dog...or if it entailed more...like letting the flock accept the new hen, etc. Guess I'll just look for an olive-egger hen instead of making my own. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm sorry, I must have phrased myself wrong. There is a 99.99% chance a rooster will be accepted as long as there isn't another rooster in the flock and introducing the rooster is just throwin' them in the coop while the hens are roosting at night. When I got my rooster, I actually put him in during the day and he was pretty much recognized as the dominant chicken by the next day. I Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by