Mating Question

tds99100

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
South Carolina
I might be asking a stupid question, but is there any way to tell if my rooster and hen have mated without witnessing the act? My hen just started laying this week after raising her since May. I'm really excited about that. Now, I would like to eat some of the eggs, but I would also like to hatch some. I've read that I can't tell a fertile egg without incubating it for at least three days. I work full time, so I can't watch my chickens all the time to see if they're mating. Is there any other way to give me a hint of my hen's eggs might be fertile before I eat them?

Have you cracked any open yet? Look for the little whitish bulls eye in the yolk. Of course you want be able to hatch it once you've cracked it, but atleast you would have an idea if they are mating or not.

I cracked one open this morning, and I didn't even think to look. I was so enamoured with eating my first egg I just cooked it right up. I'll remember to look next time. Thanks!

I'm not ready to start hatching anything yet. I guess I'm not taking the time to enjoy what I have right now, and thinking ahead. I can't help but think of the future, and where I want to go next. Im just wanting to get ideas for when the time does come. Thanks for the advice lazy gardener!

Well, I remembered to check the egg I cracked open tonight, and sure enough I have a bullseye. I'm glad to know my rooster is doing his job, and I can work on hatching some eggs when the time does come. Thanks for all the advice!

Well, I remembered to check the egg I cracked open tonight, and sure enough I have a bullseye. I'm glad to know my rooster is doing his job, and I can work on hatching some eggs when the time does come. Thanks for all the advice!

celebrate.gif
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif
Congratulations!! Isn't it so exciting?

Back
Top Bottom