Mating questions.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hershy5252, Feb 1, 2016.

1. hershy5252

hershy5252 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    Ohio
    I have 2 roosters mating 16 hens. Both roosters seem to not mate or protect 1 hen. Do you think if I separate one rooster with this hen. They will bond , mate . And she will be protected after that's my hopes .

2. goosiesnougs

goosiesnougs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    My roo favors the one girl I wish he wouldn't...he is not very protective but we love him. ( he is a silkie so that is probably why he is more of a teddy bear than a ninja.
    You could always pen up the 2 you want to mate, nature will kick in & he will love her up.
    :celebrate

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would suspect she's top hen, what do you mean by not protecting her?

4. hershy5252

May 7, 2015
    Ohio
    She is not top hen more like the bottom, it seems like the roosters look after all the hens but not her. At night when they all go to bed the roosters will not go in untill all the hens are in the coop . But they exclude her. She's left out. Kinda weird and neither of them mate her but they do all the others. So I thought if I get one to mate with her maybe she would then be protected better. The 3 chickens im talking about are silkies , I do let them free range quite a bit so I'm worried about her being like a sitting duck with no one looking after her. All the other chickens are wyandottes.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is she an older hen, I wouldn't try to put her with one of the roosters, there's a reason they ignore her, she's probably better off being left alone, in this case I would leave them all be, she obviously can look out for herself.

6. hershy5252

May 7, 2015
    Ohio
    No she's not older, they are all about the same age, born this spring. Ok thank you for the help.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  7. goosiesnougs

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    All of mine are silkies and I have one that is kind of on the peripherie of the group. She is always left behind and excluded. She is fine though. Nine of mine are the last in the coop because I have to go out every night and put them ALL in! :barnie

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When roosters ignore a hen and don't ever attempt to mate her, it's an indication she may not be fertile. Have you noticed if you are getting any eggs from this hen? What does her comb look like? Is it a deep red like the others or is it a drab, washed out pink?

Hens who are fertile signal to the roosters of this condition by their posture and the way they walk. The roosters are probably not mating her because she isn't producing these signals. They may not be inclined to include her in the flock under their "protection" for this reason.

1 person likes this.
  9. hershy5252

May 7, 2015
    Ohio
    Yes she does lay eggs, I had to separate her once for having a bloody comb. She lays eggs quite often for a Silkie . 5 out of 7 days.

10. goosiesnougs

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    Are the rest of your flock bantams? Or are they standard size? What kind of rooster do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by