Mating Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom chicks, Nov 19, 2011.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Would a rooster mount a hen that is egg bound? My rooster did mount her today. I have a girl with her tail down. It is always down. She is eating and acting like a chicken. Could she be egg bound? At least it appears down compared to my other girls. She is 25 weeks and has yet to lay an egg. She is my biggest "thickest" girl. Thank you for any advice or input you can give.

Here are pictures of her today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Rooster. Lance
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Pretty girl [​IMG] Are your other hens/pullets BOs? My BO also has a "bloopy" tail (that's what I call it...lol). Her tail has never been "perky" like the other girls' tails, so I assumed that's how BOs were built. [​IMG]
    Her combs is nice and bright, so I'll bet she's close to laying. And my rooster doesn't bother girls who are sick (or molting).

3. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you so much. Yes, I do have 5 other BO girls. Only 2 of them are laying right now. I thought for sure she would be the 1st BO to lay because she used to be very bossy. I thought she was the alpha girl. She would even go after Lance (rooster). Needless to say she isn't bossy anymore. She is very sweet now. My Red Rock gave me the 1st egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by