1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mating season?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamiLexi, Feb 15, 2016.

1. SamiLexi

SamiLexi Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    I am still new to having ducks. Mine aren't quite a year old yet. I found my first duck egg today. I have a female pekin, 1 male mallard, and 1 male rouen. I know I have to get rid of one of the males before mating season so that they don't kill one another over the pekin. I thought mating season was still a month or so away but does finding the egg mean mating season is here for my ducks?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she is laying, either the drakes are already breeding her or they will soon be doing so. Her instinct will be to flirt with and encourage them.

1 person likes this.
  3. SamiLexi

May 11, 2015
    Ok. I will start looking for a home for the second male then. I hope I can find one before they decide to start fighting and hurt or kill each other.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The female is in danger too. The drakes may gang up on her and hurt her. If they do it while in the water they could drown her.

5. SamiLexi

May 11, 2015
    They don't have a pool right now only their drinking water. I live in northern michgan and the pool would freeze right now. I've got the male posted where possible to find him a home.

6. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Good luck. I hope you can find him a nice home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by