mating silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deborah the silkie, Feb 3, 2009.

1. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    Ok everyone so is there anything that you can do other than introducing a rooster to a hen to get the job done. I have a bearded silkie hen of 11 months, who i introduced to a buff silkie roo im not sure of his age, he is an adult though, he belongs to another byc member. Well they have been together 2 days now and i have seen no mating, i havent even seen him dancing for her? So whats the deal i mean do they just need time? She was laying quite regular up until his introduction, and they are both being housed with four 11 week old pullets, 3 cohins, and 1 silkie cochin mix. He calls all the girls to food just doesnt try to mate with the silkie hen.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He probably needs to get to know her a bit before performing his duties. We are all keeping our fingers crossed for those eggs!!!!

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It will take some time for him to be comfortable enough to make her. You can also do AI in the mean time if you like.

4. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    Great thank you both for the info, I think ill give them a little more time before i really get worried, and the AI just seems so scary to me i just wouldnt know what im doing, chickens are all still fairly new to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by