mating

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by alex, Jul 29, 2007.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Can related chicks that grow up mate?? And if they can, is there anything that can happen wrong?? Thank you
    alex

2. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Yes this is called inbreeding.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    although chickens arent the brightest already - think of the poor things when you interbreed them! it is NOT a good idea. i am sure that they will still mate - but make sure they dont have any chicks.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe line breeding is father to daughter or mother to son which is done to perfect a breed. Siblings breeding is different from a genetic standpoint.

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    ok, but what if they do get chicks, what can happen to them??

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Since I don't let siblings mate, (I remove roosters before breeding age). I can only tell you what I have heard about.

Severely crossed beaks, crooked legs, deformed legs, wobbly uncoordinated chicks, in general...unthrifty chicks.
    Now, a very high percentage may be just fine, but you may find that they are not very disease resisitant.

You can just gather all the eggs to eat, and you don't have to worry about it. Or, trade your boys with a friend's boys for different bloodlines.

I hope this answers your question.

I do some line breeding: Son to Mother, Father to Daughter, and sometimes a Half-Brother to Half Sister (when these are grown, they never are mated with a relative)

Jean

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, brothers and sisters will mate. Just don't hatch any of the chicks. Line breeding can be done but I avoid that too. Chicks from brother and sister matings result in inbred birds that can have low hatch rates, and all the problems listed above. If you want to hatch birds, make sure the parents are unrelated.

If your girl ever gets broody, give them eggs from a different flock and don't let them hatch their own eggs.

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    When I raised bugies, I bred show quality ones.
    I got them from several different breeders but when I looked at their pedigree I discovered that one of my pairs, were also brother and sister.

They had alot of chicks and there was never a problem with them.
    The fact is they were the best breeding pair I had.

I don't know how much transfers to chickens, but thats my experience.

I wouldnt, however, continue breeding the offspring to each other, I'm sure thats pushing your luck.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  9. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    the only way to set a trait is by inbreeding, thats how we got what we have today, I show chickens and if I have an outstanding bird I will breed it back to sons or daughters, never have got any ill effects from it..usualy the first thing to deteriorate is fertility and then vigor

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Breeding back is line breeding right so that can be done, but I still think brothers and sisters probably shouldn't be bred. It can be done but probably isn't the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by