1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mating.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spoolin, Mar 25, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i have 2 BR that when the roo goes to mate with them, they scream like little girls and run away. they are about 6-7months old, and never had any chicks yet. whats wrong with my BR.
    thank you

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    They aren't in the mood... they have a headache... they're BOYS? [​IMG]

Are they laying eggs?

3. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    no they haven't layede yet. and for sure i know they're girls.

4. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i also took the roo out about 1month and a half ago, and they haven't been with a roo since then....

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    When my girls first started laying after their winter break they were screaming and trying to get away from the roo. They've stopped doing that now. Give yours a little more time to get used to his advances and see if they don't start submitting to him.

Someone I know said that if the roo is trying to mate with them then he can tell they're about to start laying... hopefully that means you'll have eggs soon. Do they have a nest box to lay in?

6. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    yea they do have a nest to lay in... actually 3 nest

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Immature hens will scream like the devil is after them. Once they are of laying age they'll stop fighting it and it'll be over quickly.

8. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    so how much time should i give them till i see some "piggy back rides"?

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Once the hens get close to laying age they'll start to squat for the rooster. Some hens will also squat for their humans, if they consider you dominant. Once you see the squat you can expect to see eggs from that pullet before too long. The age varies with the breed.
    Once the hens stop fighting it the actual mating takes (literally) five seconds.

10. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i do see my BR squat alot, when i peek through mt window.... might that be a sign? cause i havn't see my orpington squat not even once, its only my BR. and my orpington has been laying eggs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by