Mats to cover wire coop floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by littlelemon, Aug 19, 2007.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Our coop has a welded wire floor. We built it that way for ease of cleaning, but I have learned since then that a wire floor is not the best thing for chicken's feet. Someone on here suggested using mats on top of the wire, and then just spraying them off when needed. I like that idea-that way I can leave the area under the roosts wire, and put the mats elsewhere and cover them with straw.
    Does anyone else use mats in their coop? Where could I find a nice sturdy large plastic mat that would withstand the chickens scratching? I know that Home Depot has some outdoor mats-would those be okay? I'm looking for some ideas-

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    they should have matts in feed store!

they have ones that go over the wire cages (usually for rabbits with tender feet)

but,
    they have wholes in them too (not tthe same as a cage)

Joanne

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    stall mats are good for something like that, you can get them at a feed store. Here they about $30. for a 4x8 section.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    You could also just use a piece of floor vinyl. Homedepot may have some cheap remnants.

chel

5. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks guys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by