Matte-Finish eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OHChick, Oct 10, 2007.

1. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    OK, my chickens only recently started laying so if this question sounds moronic.... its not that, just a newbie. [​IMG] I bought 5 barred rocks on Saturday (17 week olds) and they are in with my NH Reds. The last 2 days I have gotten 2 eggs that are like matte finished. They feel rough in my hands as opposed to the really smooth ones. Does this mean my chickens are missing something in their feed? Are these eggs from the new pullets and that's why they differ? I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks in advance.

2. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    anyone?

like they feel like sandpaper but do not have bumps.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could be a number of things from the pullets first eggs, the hen themselves, or maybe a lack of calcium, which is unlikley to be the case since they had shells and are young pullets. You can keep a bin of oyster shell out free choice too just in case.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have various forms of that. Some are shiny, some are matte finish, some are slightly rough on the aircell end. I honestly think it's just nothing to worry about unless you start getting really odd eggs. Mine certainly have the best high quality feeds and calcium and certain hens just lay that type of egg sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by