matted eyes

SandJmom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
Yesterday, we lost one of our hens due to what I believe to have been Mericks Disease. This morning, I noticed my rooster's left eye is completely matted shut and two of my hens have white foamy stuff in their eyes. What is going on and what do I do?

Yesterday, we lost one of our hens due to what I believe to have been Mericks Disease. This morning, I noticed my rooster's left eye is completely matted shut and two of my hens have white foamy stuff in their eyes. What is going on and what do I do?
they have a sinus problem. apple cider vinegar ( horse brand) and plain yogurt to their feed.

Use Baytril orally. Shake the Baytril well before dosing. If your chicken really opens up their mouth and the throat passage way is wide open do not squirt the medicine directly down the throat as that can cause the medicine to enter the lungs and cause pneumonia.

Also get a warm washcloth and wipe clean their eyes.separae the sick ones from the rest.you do not want to lose your whole flock.Best chicken practices: make a sick chicken home\hospital.

Thank you so much for your help. We don't have any vets in our area that work on chickens, and very few people seem to know anything about them. I'm still learning. Any suggestions on how to prevent future sinus problems? I thoroughly cleaned their coop last weekend for the first time. Do you think that stirred up dust and caused the problem?

dont know,but here are some options:

by some diemateous earth (DE). the chickens will have a field day and bathe in that dirt all day.This de will prevent fleas and lice on your chickens by cloggin their gills on their leggs.Fleas and tick breath once and hour.This stuff will kill them by clogg.

every month or so buy some plain yogurt and mix into their feed,also put some acv in their water at the same time.

check your chooks regularly from beak to comb to wingtip to clawed feets.

if you see one that looks pekid, isolate immediately.

thats about it.
thumbsup.gif

Merry Chicken-mas!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom