Mature Black Sex-LInks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peggy-Sue, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Peggy-Sue

Peggy-Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Does anyone have any pictures of black sex-links that have just started laying??? Our black sex-link is the same age as our barred rock seen in this form: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/719080/is-she-getting-close
    However she hasn't shown much in waddle development just a big fluffy butt. I was wondering once this breed is more of an egg layer do they usually have large waddles and combs before laying?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy9532

Katy9532 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I dont have any pictures of ours, but I can tell you she started laying about 1 month after our barred rock. She has a huge comb in comparison, and is almost twice the size or our barred rock too.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry don't have any black sex-link chickens.
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't have pics but their combs are pretty much like a rock or rhode island red hen, you can find lots of pics of those. Your girl doesn't look anywhere close to laying, sorry.

5. Peggy-Sue

Peggy-Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Its odd looking at her and then looking at the hen in my avatar thing. They should be about the same age. Could there be any reasons for her slower development???

6. Katy9532

Katy9532 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012

I always read that the larger breeds just take longer. I did know mine would get soooo much bigger than the rest of the flock, but boy did she! Her eggs are also bigger than the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by