Mature Peking Drake struggling to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bruensfarm, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Bruensfarm

Bruensfarm In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Good morning all, our 5 year old Peking Drake has recently been struggling to walk. When he tries to get around he has a strange high gaite whereby he raises his legs to under his wings and stumbles around with difficulty. He tends to sit most of the day. He is still eating and I have not noticed any loss in weight.

There doesn't seem to be any injury on his legs that we can see. We change their water every second day and their food is generally kept dry (Doesn't have much time to get wet or mouldy as the wild ducks come feed at the house as they see it as an all-you-can-eat buffet).

We've never wormed our ducks however the other 6 Peking ducks seem perfectly fine.

Our vets in the local area don't deal with birds of any kind so I'd be grateful for any advice on how to help our big boy.

Thanks in advance.

PS I think I posted this as an article first in error as opposed to adding it into the forums. Forgive me, still getting used to using the site.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What are you feeding, and do you give any supplements such as nutritional yeast or others?

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  3. Bruensfarm

Bruensfarm In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    We feed them a standard duck feed from our local animal produce store with multiple grains but we don't give any supplements.

We've not had any issues for 5 years with the Pekings or Call Ducks and none of the other ducks are having the same issues.

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really know little about ducks, but they do seem to have a need for extra niacin in their diet. Many use nutritional yeast to prevent the leg problems that can be a problem. Here is an article about niacin:
    http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/niacin-deficiency

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Have you checked the bottoms of his feet and his joints?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Welcome, do you think he is overweight, drake pekins can gain a lot of weight if not put on a controlled diet. I would do what said above, could he possibly have bumble foot? @Miss Lydia

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Def check bottom of feet for bumble and legs for swelling and inflammation. Pics would be good also.

Duck_life and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: