Mature Quail with Crooked Neck

Madi131

Songster
Jun 12, 2019
Perryville Missouri
Yesterday I found one of my Jumbo Courtnix Quail with her head in the corner of the pen. She was not stuck, just puffed up with her head down. I figured she was dying so I put her in a box, brought her inside and let her be so she could be comfortable. Well, 7 hours later we checked on her again when we got him. Now she had laid an egg, was standing up and out of her box. Her head is still messed up. Yesterday she couldn't move it much at all. But today she can turn her neck a little bit more. She's still flapping her wings and standing up. She can't eat on her own or open one of her eyes. We opened it, incase she was missing it, and she still could look around but when she blinked it didn't open back up. I have been giving her chick saver probiotic and electrolytes in a shot glass. I hold it up to her and dip her beak in it, she drinks it. She can't eat on her own so I got some baby food and just got done feeding her some kale/mango/squash food and I got her some beef dinner too. It doesn't seem like she's in pain, so I don't plan on culling her, so please don't tell me to. At first she wasn't moving at all and today she's walking a little bit and can turn her head a small bit. I think pigeons pecked her head and could have caused nerve damage or something. I have removed all of the quail from the pigeons, one also had a messed up face who's been seperated by himself and I put some hen healer on him. We lost a quail a few weeks ago who also had peck marks on its head but I figured it was molting. There's only two pigeons and about 10 quail, but I believe the pigeons are trying to nest and getting territorial. We're currently building a huge pen for my birds and the pigeons will be moving into there and the quail will move back into their own pen. Any advice or suggestions on what to do with this girl? She is showing progress so I'm hoping for a recovery.

I just wanted to update this incase anyone ever has the same problem.

Although I have not gotten any more eggs from the girl, she is doing sooo much better. I have been feeding her some mango, sweet potato, kale baby food and giving her drinks of water with the chick saver probiotics and electrolytes. I have to dip her beak in it and she slurps it up. She has now begun to move her head side ways, not up and down yet, and has opened her other eye. It's squinted but it's open and she's looking around. She's getting more flighty when I try to hold her now, so she must be getting better. She stands up and walks around a little bit. I put my hand out to grab her and she walks backwards to get away from me. Her neck is still a little crooked but not terribly. She kinda walks in circles when she does walk but I imagine it will get better as her head becomes more straight.

Back
Top Bottom