Mature rooster introduced

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lenzswim, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Lenzswim

Lenzswim In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2018
    hello all,

So I had to separate coops. We built a huge 80x80 run with a 10x10 coop.

We have 22 chickens with 4 turkeys, 2 juvenile rooster, 1 mature rooster.

13chickens to 1 mature rooster

Brand new 13 hens

Today we are going to introduce them all is there anything I can to do to ensure the mature rooster don't kill each other ?

Rick M likes this.
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The only sure way is not let them into the same enclosure.

Am I reading this right?
    You have 56 birds in a 10x10 coop and an 80x80 run?

The ages are bit unclear too....how old are the:
    - "2 juvenile roosters" ?
    - "13chickens" ?
    - "Brand new 13 hens" ?

Rick M likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

Where in this world are you located?
    Climate is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, then it's always there!

Rick M likes this.
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    No, I don't think there is anything you can do, except not introduce them. What they do will just depend on them. They may bluff and stomp, skirmish, and let it go (best case scenario) They may duke it out, and one lives on the fringe of the flock, the looser. Or them may fight it out, and fight it out, and fight it out.

They really won't get the concept of these are mine, and those are yours, or we have enough birds altogether so we can all get along.

I am not sure if I am counting the 13 hens twice? 13 brand new, and 13 hens + 1 rooster?

Either way your numbers are creeping up on the space. Will they free range, or are they all going to be trapped in the set up.

You need a plan B for sure. In case it does not go well.

Mrs k

Rick M likes this.
  5. Lenzswim

Lenzswim In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2018
    Yes the coop is 10x10 but their run is 80x80 they have 8 rows or perching space and 15 nesting boxes. We are going to add on to the coop.

I have two rooster that are about 2-3 months old. 2 mature rooster that are both over 2 years old.

Original coop had 23 hens 3 rooster ( 1 mature 2 juevinel) ( 11 hatched 3 months ago 10 are over a year old- hens)

Our second coop had 1 mature rooster with 13 hens

Than today we bought 13 new hens ranging from 4 months to 12 months

Rick M likes this.
  6. Lenzswim

Lenzswim In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2018
    We are adding another coop for them yes the door is always open to coop so they can free range whenever- they are not constantly all 54 being held in the coop. It was not working have two coops one on our property and one on his mom's. So we built one large run for everyone.

Rick M likes this.
  7. Lenzswim

Lenzswim In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2018
    We introduced everyone today first three hours went well. Right before roosting for the night both mature roosters fought. They both were bloody but there was no clear winner we could see. When we left the coop tonight all chickens / turkeys/ and both rooster were all in the coop. My hubby is worried we will wake up and one will be dead. I'm hoping they fought it out-of-town made a pecking order and that all will be well since not one was more beat up than the other and because they stopped fighting. We are going to check on them first thing in the morning hoping all is well.

Rick M likes this.
  8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You might get away with it, chickens hate change and by adding everything at once, well you can only fight so much.

On the other hand, that is a lot of roosters. I think what I would be tempted to do, is just keep one mature one, who is raising the 2 juvenile roosters, and not bring in the new rooster.

Father/son set ups, with a juvenile raised in a flock under a flock master, and now add a lot more hens, they might just separate the flocks into who like who and not have too much problem.

Strange adult roosters... pretty much a recipe for a cockfight.

Mrs K

Rick M likes this.
  9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    let us know in the morning. I think I would still be tempted in taking the stranger out of the equation. Thing is once they start fighting, well those juveniles are apt to think, him, maybe I should get some licks in too, or try this out.

Rick M likes this.
  10. Lenzswim

Lenzswim In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2018
    I knew it was going to be about 50/50 chance of what would happen. I was hoping since adding new hens + rooster that had hens + original rooster and hens. It would favor more to the positive side of everyone being able to live together.

Rick M likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: