maturing coturnix

goagain

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
I have hatched two batches of meat type birds that I obtained. One batch of A&M and one batch of another variety. I have hatched several bird before from other sources and they are always crowing and laying by 5 or 6 weeks of age. These two batches are now 8 weeks and only two A&M males are crowing and only two hens are laying. None of the other variety have even crowed. This is out of about 70 birds total. I keep them under lights 15-16 hours a day. How much longer should I wait before being concerned? What am I missing here?

So how warm do they have to be to start? My older birds that started at 5weeks were raised in the same conditions except it was the middle of winter and a bit colder, and they are still laying very well.

The only difference in the two sets are one group, the laying group, comes from a breeder in my own state and the others come from a warmer climate. So I guess temp could be the problem., does the temp need to be in the 70 or 80 range to help them mature?

That is very strange! You hatched this batch yourself, right? I wouldn't think 60s temps would matter, since they've lived in your climate all their lives. Mine are laying in 50s weather. If you had purchased them as young adults, you might chalk it up to adjusting to the climate, but it doesn't sound like that's the issue.

What else could be different? Have they been moved between one environment and another recently? Are they eating something different? Are they a larger bird (and therefore perhaps taking longer to mature)? Located somewhere different? Different water source? Sometimes a water hose can leach chemicals into the water that delay or eliminate laying (I learned this the hard way and discovered it only through deep research).

I don't know how long I'd wait. If the roos aren't really crowing, then it sounds like they just haven't reached sexual maturity, so there's a good chance they *will* be productive, once they hit that--whenever it happens.

Keep us updated. Hope they end up doing well for you!

I will let you know after a couple of weeks. Every thing is the same except they are bigger birds. And we have changed our water filter type but no water hoses, I hope there is nothing in our well.. I'll watch a while longer and see what happens, I hope it's just a size problem.

Back
Top Bottom