Maturing Girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fuzzy5chicks, Oct 11, 2013.

1. fuzzy5chicks

fuzzy5chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    MI
    My chicks are now a week and a half old. My have they grown. There are seven of them and they go through about a quart of food every day. They are so friendly too. We have been handling them a lot. They like to stand on my fingers and like to come over when I put out my hand. They are such sweeties. The ladies are also getting some good feathers. My Cochin has been slower to mature though. Most have wing, tail, and are starting to get some upper-wing/ lower-neck feathers. They are on medicated chick feed, and have nearly gone through a bag. They should probably brood for six weeks. When can I start giving them grit and different food (grower and scraps)? At this age will they still enjoy hard boiled eggs? What food will they need grit for?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Pretty much they should have grit if they get anything to eat besides really soft foods and the chick food. I think chickens enjoy hard boiled or scrambled eggs at any age, mine sure do. You can start giving them different foods at anytime, just have grit available for them when you do. When you think about it, chicks with a broody hen for a mother are eating anything they find in the yard from practically the first day. When to change from chick starter to grower depends on what you want to do. Most feeds, except Layer with the extra calcium, are very similar and just vary a little with the protein levels. A lot of people with mixed age flocks feed a starter/grower all the time and just have oyster shell on the side for the layers. If you are feeding a specific brand it should say on the bag, some brands like Purina have products that are a combination (Start-N-Grow) that is 18% protein and you can feed that from hatch to when they lay eggs and then go over to Layer 16%, other brands have products that have a Starter that is higher protein (20%) and then a grower that is 15% and then a Layer... So it depends on what you want to do and what feeds you have available.

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I give my little chicks parakeet grit. It is mostly sand. Regular adult sized grit may be too large for the tiny chicks. I think ordinary sand would do, if you don't have parakeet grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by