1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Maturing question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aShMaNv, Aug 6, 2010.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Songster

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I have a young rhode island red roo that i hatched out. He is now about three months old now and has a great dark color and very large comb and wattles. However, I noticed that one wattle is very large and the other is very short and shrunken. Is this common in young roosters? Will his wattles eventually even out as he gets older?

2. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I don't necessarily think that's normal. It is normal for there to be a slight difference in size of the wattles. An almost unnoticeable difference. I have no idea if it will even out as he matures. I sure hope so!

3. Nope, not normal, but small discrepancies are normal. It will not change as he ages........Pop

4. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Songster

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    He looks like he is going to be a really good looking roo. He is really dark in color and looks great so i would love to breed him, but not if he has something wrong with with his genetics that would cause this problem. I would not want to pass that on in his offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by