Maturing rate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by project7030, Jul 27, 2011.

1. project7030

project7030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    South Central Montana
    So I have 11 chickens in my flock that are all about 18 wks (I think). 1 rooster (who is starting to attempt to mount the girls) and the rest are hens.
    1 Buff orpington
    2 Rhode Islands
    2 Barred Rocks
    1 White unknown
    1 White Jersey Giant (I think)
    1 Blue Andulusian
    1 Mille Fleur
    1 Aracauna

The orpington has had large bright red wattles & comb for quite awhile now (month & a half). The two whites have red wattles/combs too.
    My two rocks have tiny combs that are just barely pink, and the andulusian & the Mille Fleur are the same way.
    Just curious what the maturation rates of these different breeds are. I know the heavy breeds mature slower (is that right?)

I would think eggs should start showing up in the next few weeks, but I'm a newbie to chickens so feel free to set me straight!

[​IMG]

Andrea

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Yes various breeds mature differently and at different speeds. Some don't always mature the same as others either, ie... Not all hens look the same at maturity (darker combs and waddles)

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    In my experience most of those breeds should begin laying around 24-26 weeks, The Jersey giant will take longer usually. Ours didn't lay an egg until about 8 months.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Andrea,

if it is any help to measure with my BPRs didn't start until 24-weeks (6 months).

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    great question Im wondering the same about my girls of different breeds.. you have several that I do as well.. I have all large or heavy breeds...
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by