Maturity rate and expected comb size for Black Cuckoo Maran (& other young girls)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gerrbearCB, Sep 14, 2016.

1. gerrbearCB

gerrbearCB Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    I am getting anxious to have the last 7 of my girls start to lay. I have a Black Cuckoo Maran who is 18-19weeks old, has a very small comb and no wattles. Beginning to get a bit more red. My PBR and RIR layed at 19-20 wks. and had very defined, large red combs and wattles. What should I expect?
    I have a hamburg who is a week older and very little comb also, I believe they can be expected to mature slowly/lay later.
    2 Standard Cochins are 20-21 weeks and only one has red comb or wattle, other is not even close, I understand they can also be later layers.
    3 EE are also 17 weeks with pale, tiny combs, just hope somebody starts laying before the snow flies! Im impatient again...the 7 older girls are producing wonderfully.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there!

I have 19 chickens all 28 weeks old, I currently have 9 laying, they start verrrry slow unless they are bred for production, my earliest layer was 21 weeks. I know it is hard to wait for the first eggs, but I think all you need is a little time and patience.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by