Mauling injury, new to chickens. Help please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hopalong, May 9, 2011.

1. Hopalong

Hopalong Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I have a white rock hen that was mauled by (?). She looks ok, no serious wounds. Some scrapes, no punctures that we could find, but a lot of feathers gone. She is down, can't/won't walk or eat. Yeerday evening she was wheezing pretty heavily and I really didn't think she'd make the night. Today she looks better. She is bright & alert, but still down. I have food & water available, but can't tell that she's eaten or drank. I have read threads about more seriously birds surviving, but right now can't seem to find the threads for treating this sort of injury. I haven't given her anything (meds, vitamins, etc) because, a) I don't have anything and b) not really sure what to do. We have had our birds for just over a month, and I have known that I should stock some sort of first aid box. (shoulda, coulda, etc).

1) What type of bird , age and weight. White rock hen, maybe 7 lbs, of laying age
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. See above
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since the attack, Sunday morning
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. See above
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. See above
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. See above
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal poops
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? See above
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Right now she is in a quiet stall in a wire crate with shavings on the plastic floor. Would a sling be helpful?

Any advice would be welcome.

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like she's probably still in shock. Get her some vitamins in her water, so if she does drink, it's loaded with some extra goodies to help her body recover. Also, scramble her up some eggs and give her those...the extra protein will do her good, plus you'll be able to see if she's eating. If she's not isolated, you should do that, to keep the rest of the birds from picking on her. In her weakened state, they may very well do that. Especially at the bald areas. She may just need some time to regain her strength. These birds are pretty tough and can recover-it seems-from just about anything.

Good luck!!

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    If she has no obvious serious wounds outside she may have internal injuries. I would just keep doing what you are doing, keeping her separated from the rest of the chickens with food and water available. I would look her over again very carefully for other external wounds, as I would think anything that would render her unable to walk would leave more obvious wounds. If you don't find anything, then I would just wait and see. I would treat what wounds she does have, but otherwise let her be and see what happens. If she has internal injuries, there isn't much you can do. If she is just very banged up and sore, then she should start to come around in a few days. I would offer her some type of food to tempt her to eat...yogurt, chopped up boiled egg, something you know she will eat. I personally used a spray called Vetericyn on one of my hens that showed up with a gaping hole in her side. Never figured out what caused it, but it works great. It isn't sticky so shavings or hay doesn't stick to the wound. I put a homemade chicken saddle on her to keep the other hens from pecking her wound. It eventually healed and the hen is still fine today. She wore that saddle most of the winter, but she did heal up fine. You can find Vetericyn at TSC and feed stores and in horse related catalogs. It is a little pricey but it works for a lot of stuff...rain rot, scrapes, cuts, wounds, etc. Good luck with your hen, I hope she makes it.

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would just keep her isolated, give her some water and scrambled eggs like the last poster suggested and wait it out.

I have had chickens come back from some pretty nasty injurys. Just last week my dog bit a whole in one of my hens skin. Didnt pierce the muscle but still pretty grim. I seperated her in an old birdcage and now a week later she is fine. The cut is scabbed up and she actually went broody hanging out in the cage. And she was compleatly lathargic when I found her and wouldnt walk much like your girl.

Good luck what ever you do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by