1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Max age difference to combine chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jmurcks, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I want to raise chicks from three different pairs.
    My understanding is that best case scenario it is a minimum 4-8 weeks before babies can go outside...

If I use one incubator there will be about a month's difference between the first batches of chicks. Two or more months between the first and third batch of chicks...
    Worst case scenario can I put the newborn chicks in the same brooder as the potentially 4 week old or older chicks or do I need a whole seperate brooder?
    Thanks, Jenn
    (I am full of questions today!)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    You definitely need a separate brooder. Newborn chicks are way too "delicate" to go in with 4 week olds......I would be more apt to combine them once they are older and in a larger space. It is possible in a big enough space you could get 4 week olds and 8 week olds to get along......maybe.....

3. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    That's what I thought!
    Thanks a mill!

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

When I had two groups of different ages, I set my “fancy” [​IMG] brooder up like this:

[​IMG]

Little box inside larger box, kept older chick out of little chicks with hardware cloth.

At about weeks old, the little chicks decided they enjoyed the big box more and moved themselves out of the little box.

5. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    That's cool!
    Was the feather duster to help the bigger chick not feel lonely?
    It's sweet!

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Yes, Marilyn was an only chick until the others came along. He would snuggle in it and sometimes pull the feathers out "fighting" it.

As they got a bit older we started calling it the "boy box" - all three chicks are cockerels. [​IMG]

7. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    How sweet!
    I can hardly wait for chicks!

8. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    HorseFeatherz - What a great idea for mixing two groups of young chicks! I will be using it for my next staggered hatch! Thanks!!!

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:This is a great idea, but be very careful with the heatlamp. I did the same thing and just lost several day olds. I put them in a separate box inside the brooder to keep them safe from the older chicks. It got too warm from them and they couldn't move away from the heat because of the box. I lost all but 1 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by