Max coop ventilation for winter months?

whitenack

Chirping
May 5, 2020
central KY
How much ventilation do you guys leave open for the winter months? My coop design allows for one square foot of permanent ventilation per chicken . Assuming I Don't get any more chickens! Was wondering if I could get by with some more permanent ventilation up high or if that will be too much for the winter.

What's your climate like? Most of winter I have the exact same amount of ventilation open as summer, around 3 sq ft per bird, but I live in a moderate climate (lowest was 12F last winter).

If it snows it reduces my ventilation because the ridge vent gets covered. If it snows sideways then I need to close any windows facing into the storm, but that's extremely rare and I've only had to close multiple windows once.

You cannot over ventilate. However, the birds must have a place where they are sheltered from drafts AND they need the humidity kept low so that they do not suffer from frost bite.

I have a Woods style coop that has a completely open front (approx. 40 sq ft) and have winters that average 5F to -4F with short periods at -22F and lower.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'm in Central Kentucky so my winters aren't terrible but we can have weeks below freezing and days below zero. This winter it got really bad and we had some days where the wind chills were well below zero.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm in Central Kentucky so my winters aren't terrible but we can have weeks below freezing and days below zero. This winter it got really bad and we had some days where the wind chills were well below zero.
I am in Kentucky too (Lexington). I was wondering if the permanent ventilation at the top of my coop is enough? The coop is 4 x 6 and it will host 6 chickens.
I also plan to cut holes for windows at the front and sides, that I can open in summer months. I cannot make sense what is the right placement for the windows relative to roosting bars, I understand I should avoid putting the roosting bars under direct draft? Or is that only for winter months?
If anyone has some advice where to place windows/add additional permanent vents it would be very useful!

Attachments

• B228DE55-2C76-43DB-A6FC-9A2FF6116106.jpeg
    B228DE55-2C76-43DB-A6FC-9A2FF6116106.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CA9A2CD4-17F4-4A5A-ADE4-01F5081FE40D.jpeg
    CA9A2CD4-17F4-4A5A-ADE4-01F5081FE40D.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 72740314-09FD-486B-AB20-0AA8617C4FB5.jpeg
    72740314-09FD-486B-AB20-0AA8617C4FB5.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 18
Rule of thumb is one square foot of open ventilation per chicken. Based on what I can see in your pictures you do not have enough ventilation.

I would open the space above your door. This placement will give you the ventilation needed and will allow you to put roosts anywhere without introducing drafts that the birds will be in.

Rule of thumb is one square foot of open ventilation per chicken. Based on what I can see in your pictures you do not have enough ventilation.

I would open the space above your door. This placement will give you the ventilation needed and will allow you to put roosts anywhere without introducing drafts that the birds will be in.
Thank you so much! Right now I have 2.7 square feet of ventilation plus the chicken door, that can stay open since it will have a secure run.
Do you mean opening the wall here? (see photo with rectangle in red).
What do you think about adding ventilation to the sides at the top (next photo, triangle in red)? I wonder if that would be a better option to help the raising hot air go out. I could place the roosting bars low enough to avoid the draft going through the top openings. I could also add both the openings on the sides and the opening in the back that you suggest, but with a hinge window system so I can close some when very cold.
For the other windows (in green), I was going to put hinge windows at the height of the roost bars that I can open in summer. I could expand the window that will be under the run for extra ventilation in summer too.
I have been putting off cutting any window openings because I am very inexperiencied (chicken owner and builder), so I cannot make up my mind!

Attachments

• 5D20DA48-D5BB-4C33-923E-23AD17CE4649.jpeg
    5D20DA48-D5BB-4C33-923E-23AD17CE4649.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 34CE9103-0A2D-4797-B866-9CF920DC6354.jpeg
    34CE9103-0A2D-4797-B866-9CF920DC6354.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 19
I understand I should avoid putting the roosting bars under direct draft? Or is that only for winter months?
That's mostly for cold winters. If it gets hot in summer there, it's beneficial to have hinged open windows/vents that do allow a breeze to hit the roosts, to help cool the chickens down.
What do you think about adding ventilation to the sides at the top (next photo, triangle in red)? I wonder if that would be a better option to help the raising hot air go out.
Yes I'd look into putting top hinge openings in the triangles marked in red (if possible on both sides, for cross air flow), that would be ideal for ventilation year round. And then the green as summer-only panels would work during hotter days.

Back
Top Bottom