Max temperature on a homemade Styrofoam incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlphaLupa, Jan 31, 2017.

1. AlphaLupa

AlphaLupa New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    Brutus, Michigan
    I made an incubator out of Styrofoam panels and am on day 3. My temp has been jumping into 102s every afternoon and today just didn't want to go back down. A lot of sources online say 102 degrees is actually ideal for still air, but a lot say 101. What is the max temp I need to worry about before adjusting something? At night it gets to 100s so I hate to change too much. I'll be gone tomorrow so it'll stay at 102 for longer. It's 102.4 right now and I opened to turn the eggs to lower temp. Is this temp okay?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I was just reading an article about temps; earlier on the embryos are less affected by lower temps but more sensitive to higher temps, if I recall correctly. In any case, what I would focus on is figuring out why the temp is going up. Is the incubator in a closet, or is it in a room with windows (I am guessing the latter)?

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What type thermostat are you using to control the heat??

4. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    At 104F (internal temp.) egg cells began to break down. This being said I would try to keep it from 99.5F at the lowest to 101F at the very highest.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. AlphaLupa

AlphaLupa New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    Brutus, Michigan
    It is in a windowless hallway where the temperature is very stable.

6. AlphaLupa

AlphaLupa New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    Brutus, Michigan
    Just a 25watt bulb and I adjust the holes with tape.

7. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    That's why you have a spike---not using a thermostat. It can be done if "you" become the thermostat---you watch it OFTEN and you adjust every time it is not right. I have to do a lot of other things and do not have time to monitor my incubator every little while so I spend a few bucks and add a thermostat. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by