1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Max time on grower feed for adults

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fentress, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.
    I have several age groups in my flock ranging from adults to 7 day old chicks. I have had multiple hatches from broody hens and keep everyone together in the same flock. I feed everyone flockraiser (20% protien) and provide oyster shell free choice for the hens. So far so good, everyone is getting fed and no one is getting hurt. The adults will end up having been on flockraiser for at least 4 months before I move back to a layer feed. Already, the rooster is looking a little chunky. Are there any health issues for the adults that I should be concerned about? I could just cut back on the feed and let them free range exclusively if they start to get too heavy. And of course, I could divide my flock, but I would rather not do that.

Thanks,

Mark

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would just be careful not to feed anything that would be too fatty like corn or BOSS.
    Just give the 20% and free range.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What ChickenCanoe said. <I><*nodding emphatically*></I>

4. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.
    thanks. I thought I was OK, even though the time on the hight protien feed is running longer than I had originally planned.
    Thanks again.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I sometimes switch between a 17% layer and a 20% layer or mix them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by