1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Max's Eye is Gummy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Dec 30, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I noticed yesterday that Max's eye was running a bit. Today, it's gunked up and he's barely opening it. His other eye is bright and open, his left eye is squinting, has a slight white/blue thing going on in the corner and is a bright red. I have a feeling he poked it on some hay or something since there's no nasal discharge, his heart rate isn't increased and there's no sneezing/coughing.

I put some opthalmic gel in his eye. Is there anything else I should do? I asked other people on the farm and they said it should be better fairly soon. How soon is soon? When should I forgo the home treatment and get the vet? No other injuries on him at all.

Sorry, I'm just a bit overprotective I suppose. He's kind of spooky on that side at the moment and he's never been spooky at all on any side before. It explains why he was getting all uppity about me putting his halter on...

2. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Please be careful putting meds into an eye when you aren't sure what is going on. With only one eye affected, no nasal discharge and obvious sensitivity based on the halter reaction it does sound like it could be trauma. If there's a corneal abrasion - make sure there are no steroids in whatever you put in the eye as that can damage the eye more.

Personally, if it is worse, or even not better, I would get the vet out. Going into a holiday weekend, why risk having to pay that emergency call? [​IMG] If you can't see anything obvious lodged in the eye, hopefully its just a small scratch. But eyes are just not worth messing around with, IMO.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    When I looked at the eye, I saw a slight mark but couldn't quite tell if it was more of a "poke" or a lateral scratch.
    This is what the vet said when I called him for a quick idea on what to do without a visit:
    http://www.bigdweb.com/prodinfo.asp?number=86013&CAWELAID=659450016

I use it on my chickens too...odd how much stuff can be used universally!

There's no heat and no inflammation from what can I tell. No swelling either.

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I've always found that a warm water compress (w/ a very clean cloth) works wonders. I apply the ointment after a compress. Helps clean all the gunk out. I don't think there's a whole lot done for a scratch besides an antibiotic ointment/drops and compresses. I've been to the vet with various animals with eye complaints over the years. The vet usually applies drops, looks at the eye in the dark with a UV light, and prescribes an appropriate ointment/drops.
    Hope it's not serious...and
    Happy New Year!

5. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Oh ok good - I was just concerned about the possibility of further damage if the eye ointment had steroids in it. If it isn't tearing copiously or bothering him enough to put him off feed, probably can give it a few days. Keep it clean, watch for worsening and spoil him [​IMG] I know, not very professional advice but hey, eyeballs are sensitive! Think about how much an eyelash in your eye hurts - so even a minor scratch has to be awful! If the discharge turns infected looking, or he's not improved by Monday, call the vet out.

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Watch for a blocked tear and nasal ducts.

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Can you tell me what I'm looking for with worsening? There were copious amounts of tears (especially after the gel...he was NOT a happy camper) but in the eye fold there were yellowish/greenish deposits. You know, kind of like the kind you wake up with after a long sleep? That's why I was worried about an infection...when I get sick, that's where you can tell first. It wasn't stuck together and the eyelashes looked normal but the whitening/bluish look along the iris worried me a bit.

Oh he'll be getting spoiled. I was gonna ride him today but didn't want to aggravate the eye with dust/dirt getting kicked up in the arena. Poor boy, doesn't get to be worked... [​IMG] I'm sure he's just devastated about that.

8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    My mare had a blocked duct and it presented itself like you are describing. The vet had to flush it out and then medicate the eye and penicillin( I think) this was years ago.

9. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I do not like the sound of the discoloration in his eye. I would honestly have it looked at. If it was just weeping, like a foreign body(dust, hay, etc. had gotten in there, you should be able to flush it with saline solution.

You may want to try putting a fly mask on him with the side with the injuried eye covered with soft fabric. That will keep light out of it and help with healing.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    This could be an exact photo of what it looks like.
    http://www.westernhorsereview.com/?p=3449

Darnit...any idea how much this type of procedure costs and if it can be done at the farm or if I need to take him to the vet's office for it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by