May Be a Dumb Question, But...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Reyvaughn, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    -sigh- Don't think ill of me. I have 23 roosters of mixed breeds (BAs, SSs, PRs, BRs and BLH) going to be butchered this week. I need the room in the coop for new chickens I'm getting this weekend. I called and made my appointment yesterday and after I hung up the phone, I had a thought.... "My boys are still on medicated feed. Crap."

The processor doesn't know if Amprolium would be an issue for our freezer camp bound boys or not. So, here I am, looking ridiculous and asking what I am already sure I know the answer to, can we eat them and not worry about getting sick or something? I don't know if it'll help, but the starter feed makes up less than 5% of their daily feed. They are free ranged and hardly ever touch the feed (the 24 boys go through about 20lbs in a week). Anyways... Be nice. Thanks!

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    the birds in the store have much worse in them - so I am told.

as far as amprolium it is a coccidiat (prob spelled wrong) it stays in the gut-which you do not eat.
    If you're worried about it, use them for great natural pet food. We eat them when it occasionaly occures.

and NOBODY will think ill of you for asking a meat question on this thread, so ask away and feel at home here [​IMG]

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thank you very much! I was sure I read someplace that humans could eat it and it wouldn't harm you, but I wanted to make sure since it does say not to feed the medicated food to laying hens (Ooops. My 15wk old Amberlink began laying on Friday and she and her shed mates just got switched).

Well, it's good to know I can still send the hoodlums off! I will miss being swarmed by the flock of boys when I get home every night. They look forward to the treats I bring home. You can't keep them all, though.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    In another month you would not miss them!

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Quote:Tell that to my mom. She's 48yrs old and knows what being a farm girl is about, but she wants me to keep all of my rooster. "Oh, you can't send the Sebright, he's to cute!" "You can't send the friendly ones - you'll regret it!" "You can't eat Crooked Comb, he's to nice!" Well, she won on the Sebright. She lost on Crooked Comb and his Speckled Sussex broodermate and the Brown Leghorn I affectionately named Supper.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by