May be down to one chicken soon

mcjessen

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Coeur d Alene ID
I may be loosing one of two remaining chickens. She's been molting since September but was moving really slowly today. She just looks like she doesn't feel well. If she dies I'll have one chicken all by herself. Given the time of year I seriously doubt I'll find a buddy or buddies for the single chicken. If we decide to get more chickens in the spring, it'll take two months to get them up to size to be in with the single girl.

So, my question is, what would you do if you faced the possibility only having one chicken? Would it be a good idea to keep her by herself or give her away and start over again in the spring?

On a side note...is it possible to get a "bad batch" of opringtons? I ask because the orpington flock mate to the sick girl died several weeks ago.

I would not give her away if she is sick.....and chickens are very social. If the other girl dies (so sorry about that!) then I would probably cull and start over in the spring........having sick chickens is very depressing.
hit.gif

Last edited:
The potential remaining chicken (BA) is not sick. She's been laying regularly and is seemingly healthy. No sighs of anything. The sick/molting chicken is the one I'm thinking I might lose.

Just to be clear, what you're saying is to give the BA away because I'd only have one chicken and then start raising again in the spring?

If it were me, I would not give her away but find a friend for her to live with. I would check with our BYC site to see if any members live close to you, your feed store, Craig's list (or similar listing) local vets, etc. Someone near you has a chicken friend for your hen.

I was down to one girl due to an animal attack, I just got a few new ones on CL. I see them all the time average price of a pullet here in Ohio is $8

frow.gif
Hello neighbor! Sorry to hear that you may be losing one of your hens.
sad.png
I would look for a friend for your remaining hen if you do lose the one that is acting sick. They are very social birds and I would think it would be better for her to have at least one friend to help with warmth through the winter months. Check on Craigslist...there are usually some good deals on there.
smile.png
Also, I believe I saw that one of the shelters here in Spokane (I think it was Spokanimal) had a rescued hen on their website about a week ago...maybe check them out also.

yes yes look on clist or newspaper . dont cull her , poor girl . put an add on her that you are looking for a few hens to buddy up with your girl, you shouldnt have any problem with the help of fellow bycers. best of luck

I would definitely keep her, especially if she is friendly and/or you have attachment.
You could rehome her and start anew, but it's not necessary.
I have introduced one to another one, they are living together happily ^^
I made a page about it, link below.

Back
Top Bottom