May be getting Quail for my birthday...need some info ~

V Comb

Songster
10 Years
Oct 25, 2009
Møreton Bay, Qld, Australia
Hello, I am in need of some info on Quail.

Can you feed them budgie/canary seed? How much space do they need? How noisy are they, and would it be best to get 2, 3 or 4? I really like the looks of the silver boys and the brown girls, so can you cross colours?

Thank you

smile.png

ETA: The breed is im talking 'bout is the Button Quail

Last edited:
You need a high protein game bird starter, they should be housed in pairs so 1 male and 1 female per cage. You can give them some seed, but not a lot. If you choose to give them seed they will need grit. Buttons can't handle regular grit so you will have to buy parakeet grit at a pet store. You should get however many you have cages for. A small fish tank (30 gallons) will easily house a pair of buttons. You can cross colors and sometimes you will get a pretty bird. Don't go crazy with it if you plan to sell chicks.

You can house them in what ever ratios, based on species, but you can't go wrong on a quality GBS! Somewhere between 26 and 30%.

What species are we talking about here?

Please don't say Buttons...
smile.png

You can give them seeds for treats. That doesn't need to be their main diet. They need High protein Gamebird Crumbles. I sometimes by the 50 lbs. bag of GBF, but other times I just get a 5 lbs. bag of the Manna Pro GBF. I think the Manna Pro GBF is around 20=26% protein? Or something like that -
hmm.png

More Later -

Back
Top Bottom