May Be Premature-Blue Orp Keeping Me Guessing-Boy? Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Aug 14, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Of the three Blue Orp cockerels, or the ones I had pegged as cockerels from their slow feathering and lack of tails, one of them is a bit different. Could be a slower developing cockerel, but wanted opinions. The Splash that feathered quickly was a surprise cockerel and I have one very definite girl. So, what do you think? Here is the one in question, followed by the other two for comparison. They are five weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Me and the DH are in agreement that that chick is a pullet. Now this coming from a man that tells me to shake whatever I am trying to sex and see if its $#@% rattle, so take it for what its worth!! LOL!!

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I vote pullet. Did you try wclawrence's method of sexing chicks?

4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I say roo, those legs look pretty darn thick and the feathering seems rooish. Is the comb pinkish or is that just the pic?

I hope I'm wrong for your sake. : )

5. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I think your right looking like a pullet to me. Is that the one that I was going to take if it was a roo?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hard to say, but with the big thick feet... and some of the feathers on top are pointed, I say you may have a roo.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Body and feather wise I'd say roo, but it sure doesn't have much comb compared to the others. Is it from your eggs?The one I hatched from your eggs was the same way....I flip flopped several times on what I thought she was before I got it decided. Time will tell I guess [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, this isnt a Suedelette. I know the feathering is very roo-ish and the legs are thick. Of course, most of these Orps have pretty thick legs, so that isn't always a good indicator with them. I think the pink in the comb is just the picture, Corey. I do have one definite young lady from this hatch, but I guess I was hoping against hope that this one could also be a girl. After all, the splash feathered out quickly with a long tail and we all thought pullet till the last couple of days. Thought maybe we had another one with a chickie identity crisis, LOL. I keep saying I'll just wait and see who's who, but seems I'm always needing just one more girl from a hatch and I get anxious to know what I really have. Bet this one is just a tad slower to get his bigger, pinker comb than the others. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by